By andy | February 11, 2008
The best suggestion I can give for installing the Rotate Me application is wait until it has been fully tested, removed from beta test release and signed by Symbian. For the impatient, a guide for self signing this application is available (below). Note I can not guarantee your handset will be safe from harm! Proceed at your own risk!
The aim of this tutorial is to install an unsigned application on to a Nokia n95, the same principle can be used to install any unsigned software on the Symbian platform. You will need the following:
- Rotate Me & Accelerometer Plugin (mirror)
- Dev Cert Request Tool – for Windows (mirror)
- SignSIS UI (mirror)
- 20 minutes
Step Three – Reflection
Admire how simple step one and step two are (that’s the end of the simple steps)!
Step Four – Generate a Request
Install and run the “Dev Cert Request Tool”, this is pretty simple to go through. Follow each step filling in the correct details.
- Give the Symbian Developer Certificate Request file (.csr) a name – anything you like, click Next
- We are creating a private key, so set Publisher ID available to no
- Give the private key file a name – anything you like
- Give the private key file a password – anything you like (don’t forget this)
- Click Next
- Fill in your personal information, click Next
- Click the “…” next to the IMEI input box
- Fill in your IMEI (*#06# from your handset as you’ll know) Click OK
- With all the “Application Capabilities” selected, click Add
- Click Next
- Click Finish.
We have just created a certificate request file (.csr) this file is used in conjunction with www.symbiansigned.com to gain our certificate file (.cer) which will sign our application.
Step Five – Generate a Certificate
Going back to your Symbian Signed account, ensure you’re logged in and complete the following processes…
- Click on the “My Symbian Signed” tab of the web site
- Click “Open Signed” in the left navigation menu and then “Request”
- Complete the “anti-robot” code and browse for your certificate request file (.csr)
- Click Send
- Click Download and save your newly created certificate.
Congratulations – you have just created your own certificate, now to sign the application. Remember this certificate is only valid for one IMEI – the one you entered when creating your certificate request.
Step Six – Sign the Application
Extract the SignSiS archive and run the SignSisUI.exe application.
- Select the unsigned application which you are wanting to sign
- Select the correct certificate file which you have just created & downloaded (.cer)
- Select the correct key file for the generated certificate (.key)
- Fill in the correct password for the key file
- Click “!Sign It!”
Your application is now signed and ready to be transfered to your handset and installed! Don’t forget to transfer and install the accelerometer plugin first.